Initiative Checks

At the start of a battle, each combatant makes an initiative check. An initiative check is a dexterity check. Each character applies his or her dexterity modifier to the roll. Characters act in order, counting down from highest result to lowest. In every round that follows, the characters act in the same order.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Play by Post and Other News

I haven't gotten around to posting a recap yet... but on the bright side we are playing again tomorrow and well... as it says in Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, actually I hate that song, but you get the point.

I hope everyone got the news about D&D 5th edition (if you haven't just do a Google search or Linkclick here)? I personally hope everyone hates it as much as 4th edition. "Why", you ask? I spent a lot of money buying books for 4th edition and now, not a year later, they tell me those will become obsolete by 2012 (if we're still alive)? No, I think not. The good news is that my group has already agreed to continue playing 4e despite the shiny new edition.

Lately, I've been playing a lot of play-by-post D&D on Myth-Weavers.com (Link here). It's an okay way to play:

GOOD:
  1. It's easy to find a game (in most systems).
  2. Their online character storage is spot on (better then any pdf sheets I've found).
  3. The other forums on the site are a great way to get answers to questions (e.g. "What does 1[W] mean?) Ok, don't laugh - I have asked this before. I really didn't know what it meant. and for those of you out there who don't know what it means it is 1 weapon damage which can be calculated only with the weapon chart found on page 218 through 219 of Player's Handbook 1 4e (4th edition).
  4. The World of Farland is a community designed world for use with the 4e system. It's a great resource for first time players or those who need a quick world.
  5. And last but not least... the site tools! I don't use them much as they are made to work with D&D 3.5e but they are still worth a look no matter what system you are playing.
BAD:
  1. Play by post is really slow. If you're like me, your D&D games need to be fast-paced and exciting (this does not necessarily mean all combat. A good Dungeon Master knows how to keep skill challenges and even just talking to people exciting). A cure for this is to play multiple games with different people. And then treat it like facebook... checking religiously, every five seconds.
  2. It's not personal. I've evolved a close relationship with my players (well I like to think so...)
  3. The application process for games means that you won't always get in.
I highly recommend joining and even playing a little. (If you ever are in a game with Kire Arual, it's me!)

That's about it for now. More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment